Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Wyoming volleyball coach worried about political pressure to forfeit vs. San Jose State -Capitatum
Poinbank:Wyoming volleyball coach worried about political pressure to forfeit vs. San Jose State
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 09:10:19
Shortly after the University of Wyoming’s decision last month to forfeit a women’s volleyball game against San Jose State due to the presence of a reportedly transgender player,Poinbank associate head coach Becky Baker expressed concerns that a closely-divided team’s preferences about whether to play were being usurped by outside political pressure, according to documents obtained by USA TODAY Sports through an open records request.
In an Oct. 2 e-mail to head coach Kaylee Prigge, who was away from the team on maternity leave, Baker attached a rundown of events that had occurred over the previous week as the controversy was exploding across the Mountain West Conference.
Four teams in the league — Boise State, Wyoming, Utah State, Nevada — have decided not to play San Jose State even though the player in question is eligible according to NCAA and conference rules and has been on the team for two seasons prior to this one without incident or controversy. USA TODAY Sports is not naming the player because neither she nor the school has commented on or confirmed her gender identity.
San Jose State is now second in the league at 11-4. Wyoming is 6-9 and could very well fail to qualify for the six-team conference tournament at the end of this month due to the two losses it forfeited against the Spartans. Wyoming is currently in seventh place, 2 ½ games behind sixth place.
Though the document Baker sent to Prigge is heavily redacted, it outlines a meeting that took place on Sept. 30 — five days before the first game was scheduled — with the team and athletics director Tom Burman, deputy athletics director Matt Whisenant and senior women’s administrator Taylor Stuemky.
At the meeting, according to Baker, Burman “shared his personal opinions and acknowledged how hard of a spot the girls are in” before asking them to write “yes” or “no” on a piece of paper without their names attached.
According to the document, Whisenant told Baker that the vote was 9-9 with one player abstaining and that he then informed her the team would not play the game.
“I asked him and Taylor very specifically to make this about the people up top and the political pressures essentially taking the decision away from us,” Baker wrote. “He wanted to mention that more people said ‘no’ than last week which is influencing their decision and if our team knows/thinks that is why we canceled I don't think I’ll ever get them back from a cultural standpoint.”
Baker wrote that the next day, the team had another meeting where Whisenant explained why they were forfeiting. A player, whose name was redacted, “asked him straight up if our vote is what did it and he said that their vote was valued but that in the end it went above us,” Baker wrote.
Baker went on to write that the practice that day was “out of sorts” and that she expected the decision would cause dissension because of how it unfolded.
“I imagine several girls are going to find me because they are pissed,” Baker wrote. “(Player’s name redacted) also then posted on their Instagram stories which is whatever cause I can't control that, but felt pretty inconsiderate to their teammates who I know are upset.”
Baker also wrote that Burman, the athletics director, “came in and is distraught about how this is going to impact the team and confirmed it would have been taken out of his hands regardless, but I think he is getting hit with how hard this is going to effect us.”
In a Sept. 27 e-mail responding to a person whose name was redacted after Boise State became the first Mountain West team to forfeit, Burman appears conflicted on the matter, writing that he doesn't believe it is appropriate to have a transgender player while admitting she is eligible to compete.
“I do think it's important to note, we have played against this athlete for the past two seasons and our student-athletes felt safe in the previous matches,” Burman wrote. "She is not the best or most dominant hitter on the Spartans team. Having said that it doesn't make it ok. We have made our position known to the MWC and San Jose State that we think this is inappropriate, but she does meet all the NCAA standards for competition and is eligible.
"If we did choose to not compete, we would have to forfeit both matches and our student-athletes are not in favor of forfeiting two matches. We will continue to chat with our team and if some choose not to play, we will absolutely support that decision.”
This story has been updated to include new information and headlines
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast. Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
veryGood! (67533)
Related
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Daniel Will: Emphasizing the role of artificial intelligence in guiding the next generation of financial decision-making.
- Artist-dissident Ai Weiwei gets ‘incorrect’ during an appearance at The Town Hall in Manhattan
- New Hampshire primary results for 2024 Republican election
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Las Vegas-to-California high-speed electric rail project gets OK for $2.5B more in bonds
- Kylie Jenner and Stormi Webster Are Fashion Icons at Paris Fashion Week
- The death toll from a small plane crash in Canada’s Northwest Territories is 6, authorities say
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Pro Volleyball Federation launches with first match in Omaha: How to watch, what are teams
Ranking
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- With Pitchfork in peril, a word on the purpose of music journalism
- EU Parliament’s environmental committee supports relaxing rules on genetically modified plants
- Heavy rains soak Texas and close schools as downpours continue drenching parts of the US
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Appeals court declines to reconsider dispute over Trump gag order, teeing up potential Supreme Court fight
- New Jersey’s governor mourns the death of a sheriff who had 40 years in law enforcement
- Los Angeles County to pay $5M settlement over arrest of election technology company founder
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Kylie Jenner and Stormi Webster Are Fashion Icons at Paris Fashion Week
2 hospitals and 19 clinics will close in western Wisconsin, worrying residents and local officials
Long penalized for playing at Coors Field, Todd Helton finally gets his due with Hall of Fame nod
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
Simone Biles Sends Love to “Heart” Jonathan Owens After End of His NFL Season
Simone Biles Sends Love to “Heart” Jonathan Owens After End of His NFL Season
Kia recalls over 100,000 vehicles for roof issue: Here's which models are affected